For those of us who work in local SEO, either in an agency or as a consultant, the value and benefits of local search are widely appreciated.
Local consumers are using multiple devices more frequently to search for, research and review local businesses. SMBs who don’t capitalize on this by having a useful and professional websites, monitoring their online reputation, or communicating with consumers online, may get left behind.
However, it’s not always easy to convince SMBs about the merits of local search. But there is a ton of supporting data which make the case for investing in online (almost) impossible to argue against. In fact there are almost too many great stats than can end up overwhelming business owners.
14 Local SEO Stats Which Prove that Online is Key for Local Businesses
We have curated and filtered this vast array of stats down to those that we think build the most compelling argument. We use these regularly in our own blog posts and presentations and we hope they are useful to you.
To make this list even more useful, we have produced a set of unbranded graphics that illustrate each statistic. These can be downloaded and reused as you see fit. They don’t mention BrightLocal (unless we are the source of the stat) and there is no obligation to reference us or link to us when you use them. Go wild!
The full set of 14 graphics can be accessed in PDF format here: Essential stats for convincing SMBs.
Or you can simply right click and download the specific ones you want to use.
Fact 1: Local consumers rely on the internet
- 97% of consumers use internet when researching local products/services (BIA/Kelsey)
- 54 percent of Americans have substituted the Internet and local search for phone books (comScore)
Fact 2: More users = more searches = more potential customers!
- 140 billion local searches (on desktop and mobile) expected in 2014 (BIA/Kelsey Local Commerce Monitor (LCM) Survey, Wave 16, November 2012)
- 95% of smartphone users have looked for local information (Source: The Mobile Movement Study, Google/Ipsos OTX MediaCT , Apr 2011)
Fact 3: Having a website is essential, but it’s just a start
- 36% of respondents say that a clear and smart website gives a local business more credibility (BrightLocal Local business websites survey, January 2014)
- 32% of consumers are more likely to contact a local business if they have a website (BrightLocal Local business websites survey, January 2014)
Fact 4: It’s crucial to be visible and prominent on the web
- 98% of searchers choose a business that is on page 1 of the results they get.
Fact5: Your Reputation Matters!
- 93% of consumers consult read local reviews (BrightLocal Local Consumer Review Survey)
FACT 6: Consumers trust what they read online
- 85% of consumers trust online reviews as much as personal recommendations (BrightLocal Local Consumer Review Survey)
FACT 7: Consumers make quick decisions about who to use
- 77% of smart phone users contact a business after looking for local Information (Source: The Mobile Movement Study, Google/Ipsos OTX MediaCT , Apr 2011)
- 59% of mobile users who look for local information visit the business on same day (Source: The Mobile Movement Study, Google/Ipsos OTX MediaCT , Apr 2011)
FACT 8: Even your existing customers are looking for you online
- No 1 reason for doing an online search is to find the location for a ‘known’ business (comScore, Neustar Localeze, 15 Miles – Local Search Study 2014)
FACT 9: Your customers are social and so are your competitors
- 72 percent of SMBs are using social media to promote their businesses (BIA/Kelsey Local Commerce Monitor (LCM) Survey Q3, 2013)
- Seven out of ten consumers are more likely to use a local business if it has information available on a social media site (comScore Networks/TMP Directional Marketing)